Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the context of real estate, what is an "オウンキー"?

I understand that it literally translates as "own key", but having a word for that seems to be like needing a word for people with only one head. Is it to distinguish from people who live in a place, but don't have a key to access where they live?

share|improve this question
I'm monocephalic you insensitive clod! (-; – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 9:27
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Many hits for this word are from Australia and about people who share a room/apartment. For example:

オウンキーは1人づつ持たせてもらっているのですが エレベーター操作ができるスワイプキーはシェア。

So, apparently オウンキー means that you don't have to share the key with someone else living in the same place.

EDIT: in fact, the term seems to have been borrowed from English (1, 2) and not invented by Japanese, so the wasei-eigo tag is probably wrong:

Hi, 1 female needed for living room $180/week only 2 people in the appartment. [...] All bills included, Free Internet, Own key, Swimming pool, Gym, Sauna and Spa!! Very Safe and Secure appartment and the area :)
Only 3 people in the room, with your OWN keys. No need to share the keys, so you can get full access 24/7,

(P.S. You should always mention where you found the word and provide some sentences for context; don't assume it's something obvious...)

share|improve this answer
This sounds like German English to me. English native speakers would only used it in condensed contexts like classified ads. German speaks actually say things like "do you have an own key"? In any case it's an odd kind of borrowing because it looks on the surface like it's borrowed an adjective + noun phrase as a word. A bit like ワイシャツ (business shirt) comes from English "white shirt". – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 9:32
I would keep the wasei-eigo tag since the question is about the topic whether it turns out to be the correct analysis or not. In my opinion though it's in the grey area, a kind of quasi-wasei-eigo that can be analysed both ways. – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 9:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.