Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to translate a game from Japanese to English, but I cannot figure this one out. I know a lot of different forms of laughter, but this one escapes me. I've been looking for about an hour and a half online, and still can't find an example. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Edit: I believe it is either "Tee-hee-hee", "wahahaha", or "heheheh". I just need to know which is best.

share|improve this question

Uh, I'll go with "hehehe". –  istrasci Mar 8 at 17:04

But the Fu (フ) before it, and the context in-game, indicate a sort of "inside joke", so wouldn't it be something like "tee-hee-hee", "heheh", or "wahahaha"? I'm trying to make an accurate translation, so which one of those would be better? –  Maq Mar 8 at 17:19

Oh, and the text I'm translating is "ですが、それには条件がございます… フヒヒヒ", which is "But, there are conditions for it... [laugh]" –  Maq Mar 8 at 17:28

not sure how to simulate the sound affect but it sounds like a snigger. –  Tim Mar 9 at 1:50

Unless you are asking what nuance フヒヒヒ carries, this sounds more like a question about English, not about Japanese. –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi Mar 26 at 6:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.