Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble with the following: えらく愉しい事続きなんだ

I don't know the meaning of えらく as I've never seen that word before.

share|improve this question
It's a form of the adjective えらい. –  Zhen Lin Mar 4 at 17:39
Try swapping えらく for すごく. Do you understand the meaning then? –  Ash Mar 4 at 17:43

Yes! Thank you. –  Storm Echo Mar 4 at 19:52

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Though this seems already answered, I decided to make it more complete.

"えらく" is a kind of adverb(副詞) that is used to emphasize on something.

Some examples I came up with...
あの人は、えらく美人だ。
えらく大きな会社だ。

But overall i don't think i hear this very often. If you just want to emphasize, "すごく” or "とても” would be a better choice.

share|improve this answer
How is "すごい” or "とても” a better choice? –  非回答者 Mar 5 at 1:03

えらく can be replace by すごい often, but すごく can't be replaced by えらく all the time. –  hide Mar 5 at 1:09
1) A can be replaced by B often but B can't be replaced by A all the time, doesn't make B a better choice. 2) えらく is 連用形 of an i-adjective and とても is an adverb (i.e. they modify 用言) while すごい is the plain form of an i-adjective (i.e. modifies 体言). 3) "i don't think i hear this very often" → Probably because this usage is pretty colloquial. You might not see/hear it in textbooks or formal conversation. –  Choko Mar 5 at 6:10

Thanks for your comment. I already fixed my answer. –  hide Mar 6 at 1:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.