Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Supposing I'm meeting a colleague's wife for the first time, I was trying to think of how to modify いつもお世話になっています to express something like "I'm always in your husband's care". Is this appropriate? if so, how would I modify the phrase?

I've encountered the phase used where the speaker is thanking the person he's talking to on behalf of a third person - for example 息子がお世話になっています - and I wondered if it works the other way around.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You could say to her:

「いつもご[主人]{しゅじん}[に]お[世話]{せわ}になっております。」= "I'm always in your husband's care".

Do not forget the honorific ご. The に can be replaced with には without changing the meaning.

She would say to you:

「いつも主人[が]お世話になっております。」= "My husband is always in your care."

She will not use the ご because it is her own husband.

Finally, it is always the particle that can change the meaning of the sentence entirely. In this case, it is に vs. が.

(If you usually did not speak all that politely or humbly, you could replace the おります part with います, but you could never omit that ご.)

share|improve this answer

I would say:

[私は]ご主人にいつもお世話になっております。
〜"I'm always in your husband's care"
(I am sure you can come up with an appropriate English equivalent. The [ ]= unspoken.)

The following examples from the Apple dictionary illustrate the grammar for the expression 世話になる

息子はその婦人にたいへんお世話になった|My son owes that woman a great deal.

伯父には金銭上の世話になった|I had financial help from my uncle.

share|improve this answer

「私は」 in that greeting is not even optional. It is just not used. –  l'électeur Mar 4 at 13:14

@TokyoNagoya: The square brackets around [私は] were intended to indicate this part was unspoken. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is grammatically correct (if it is not then this common misunderstanding among us learners). –  Tim Mar 5 at 2:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.