Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just received an email ending like this:

是非是非また誘って

How to read the ?
Zero results on Google.

As for the meaning, is it equivalent to ?

share|improve this question

you mean ~ <- this? I'm not sure what you are talking about, but if that's it, then it's like friendly please. よ is more less friendly but still friendly. –  Hikari Iwasaki Jun 25 '11 at 0:18
is that a little square? –  wallyqs Aug 18 '11 at 15:10

@wallyqs: No, no little squares. –  Nicolas Raoul Aug 19 '11 at 1:18
add comment

put on hold as off-topic by Szymon, ssb, Kaji, Dono, Earthliŋ Apr 15 at 9:53

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Szymon, ssb, Kaji, Dono, Earthliŋ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote 23 down vote accepted

It's mojibake, not a valid character. Looking at the character code I suppose it's this emoji sent from a mobile phone:

emoji

http://code.iamcal.com/php/emoji/

share|improve this answer

oh crap, that php library is awesome. Thanks for the link. –  Jeshii Jun 24 '11 at 16:11
add comment

The character you presented is U+E4FB. According to the Unicode standard, it is in the "private use area", which means a software or hardware vendor can define what the character means on their own system. Such a character has no universally accepted meaning.

Reference: Wikipedia - Mapping of Unicode characters - Private use characters

"The Basic Multilingual Plane includes a PUA in the range from U+E000 to U+F8FF (6,400)."

share|improve this answer

How are you guys reading the code points? –  Louis Aug 18 '11 at 21:57

@Louis: i.imgur.com/HkcMA.png –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 19 '11 at 3:59
@Ignacio, ohh, they are empty boxes on my version of Chrome. –  Louis Aug 19 '11 at 4:20

If you're a programmer, you can use JavaScript to figure out the code point, i.e. by typing this into the address bar: javascript: "X".charCodeAt(0).toString(16) –  Nayuki Minase Aug 19 '11 at 4:37
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.