Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just like the title suggest, I once in a while will encounter なになにてくれて。what does it really mean and how normally people use it?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

「くれて」 is the [連用形]{れんようけい} (continuative form) of the verb 「くれる」.

「くれる」 can be used by itself to mean "to give" or "to let one have" as in

「ケンちゃんがあめをくれた。」 = "Ken-chan gave me candies."

The other usage of 「くれる」, which is what you are clearly referring to, is to express that you, the speaker, are the receiver of an action by another person. For this, 「くれる」 needs to be attached to another verb to form a "Verb + て + くれる"

「ヘレンさんはいつも英語を教えてくれる。」 = "Helen always teaches me English."

「お[母]{かあ}さんがクッキーを[焼]{や}いてくれた。」 = "Mom baked cookies for me."

Finally, the continuative form of that is "Verb + て + くれて" and here is how it is used.

「[来]{き}てくれてありがとう。」 = "Thanks for coming!"

「[君]{きみ}がここにいてくれて[嬉]{うれ}しい。」 = "I am happy that you are here (for me)."

share|improve this answer

勉強になりました。’〜てくれて’げ教えてくれたありがとう:D –  sooon Mar 3 at 23:59

@sooon Now is the time to use ~てくれて. (教えてくれ*て*ありがとう) –  Choko Mar 4 at 2:45

@Chocolate ooo really? I thought it is past tense. So where to use くれて and when to use くれた? –  sooon Mar 4 at 3:48
@sooon Hmm... TokyoNagoya wrote "Thanks for coming" = "来てくれてありがとう". So, "Thanks for teaching/telling me" would be "教えてくれてありがとう", don't you think? –  Choko Mar 4 at 8:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.