Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In what situations is pronounced as 「うお」 vs. 「さかな」? I personally like 「うお」 better, but I don't know why. Is it reserved for only certain scenarios?

share|improve this question
「ぎょ」もありますが、どうでしょう。^^ edit: あ、単独で使うときの話?「うお」って、古い感じで(文語的?詩的?)、日常では使わないですね。 –  Choko Feb 28 at 1:20

You can like what you like but I could personally promise that you would sound more than weird to the vast majority of Japanese-speakers if you used うお by itself to refer to a fish in ANY real-life situation. –  非回答者 Feb 28 at 9:57

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

This webpage has a comprehensive explanation: http://www.kyoiku-shuppan.co.jp/view.rbz?nd=1644&ik=1&pnp=100&pnp=106&pnp=134&pnp=1644&cd=89

「うお」は記紀万葉の時代から魚類の総称として使われているが,「さかな」が同様の意味で使われ始めたのは比較的新しく,近世になってからのようである。もともとは「さか(酒)+な(副食物の総称)」で酒を飲むときに添えて食べる物,いわゆる「酒のさかな(肴)」を意味した。(「な」は「魚」のことで,「酒魚」の意,あるいは,「なぐさむ(慰)」の「な」である,などの語源説もある。)それが転じて,魚類の総称の意に使われ,近世になると,例えば「魚市」の場合,「うおいち」「さかないち」の両様の言い方が行われるようになった。

では,現代ではどうなっているかだが,まず,「魚河岸・魚市場・魚心・白魚・魚屋・小魚・魚売り」などの「魚」については,問題ないだろう。また,魚屋に並んでいる「魚」,副食物としての「魚」の類を,「さかな」と言うのも異論がないと思われる。問題なのは,水中にある「魚」であり,その周辺の「魚釣り・川魚」などである。大ざっぱにいって,古語が比較的多く残っている西日本では,「うお」(ないしは「いお」)が使われ,関東では,「さかな」が用いられているようである。 したがって,「魚」に「うお」と「さかな」の二つの訓が認められている現在,水中にある「魚」をどちらかに限定することは不可能で,むしろ地域地域の実態にまかせるしかないと思われる。 しかし,教育現場において,どちらかに限定する必要にせまられ,それを判断する根拠が見いだせない場合は,現在では「さかな」と読んでよいだろう。国立国語研究所がまとめた『日本言語地図』によれば,全国的には,「さかな」を魚類の総称とする人が,数のうえでは圧倒的に多いとのことである。

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.