Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is a good way of studying quasi-synonyms (類義語)? More specifically, how does one figure out (and remember) when to use one over another?

For example 大方, 概ね, 総じて all translate to "generally", while 隈なく, ことごとく, 軒並み, 根こそぎ translate to "entirely, thoroughly"; unfortunately there's hundreds of these and I'm having enough trouble remembering their meaning as it is - figuring out when to use one over another is proving impossible for me so far.

To those who had to go through this before: how did you manage to do so?

share|improve this question

closed as primarily opinion-based by Dono, Earthliŋ, virmaior, snailboat Feb 28 at 3:28

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I voted to close, but you'll notice that the words you are asking about are "adverbs." In my experience, these words often differ in degree of formality -- which is not always written in English materials. –  virmaior Feb 27 at 21:27

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.