Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I hear the term サラバイ is casual speak sometimes but I have absolutely no idea what it means.

Example:

Me : <new information shared to team>
other person: 上記、承知致しました。
other person: サラバイ
share|improve this question
さらば+バイバイ, maybe?? –  Choko Feb 27 at 5:10

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I got the answer from this link: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1359689833

Looks like サラバイ=さらば+バイバイ, both for "bye".

I don't think this is a proper word in a formal business context, but still possible in a business chat that is not so formal.

share|improve this answer

The second part of the last sentence is completely incorrect. –  非回答者 Feb 27 at 6:17

@TokyoNagoya Thanks for the comment. Sometimes we use some expressions which come from movies, animes, and games in our informal business chat (of course in our own team). I don't know exactly about this "サラバイ" but I think its the same kind of thing. Would you please give some explanation? –  charlee Feb 27 at 6:26

I think by "not so formal business chat" he probably is referring to chatter between coworkers who have a friendly relationship rather than big-B "Business" –  ssb Feb 27 at 7:11
Probably it's Internet slang? I've never heard it in real life. –  Choko Feb 27 at 13:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.