Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've come across some characters like 々,ヽ,ゝ and so on . I want to know more about them and their usage

share|improve this question
You can start here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iteration_mark 々 is commonly used in contemporary Japanese. I only see ヽ and ゝ with frequency in 明治 Japanese. –  virmaior Feb 25 at 5:30
Thanks for coming to JLU. We're happy to try and help you understand Japanese, but I'm afraid that your question is very broad. Too broad to really answer in any meaningful way. If you can specify exactly what it is you want to know, as opposed to just wanting to know "more", then you're likely to get good answer. Thanks. –  Dave M G Feb 25 at 9:19
add comment

closed as too broad by Dave M G, Earthliŋ, istrasci, virmaior, Troyen Mar 1 at 3:29

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

These are iteration marks. Used to repeat the same kanji / kana in writing.

々 is used in kanji

人々 - ひとびと - people
時々 - ときどき - sometimes

ゝ is used for repeating hiragana characters and ヽ is used for katakana

share|improve this answer
True, but this answer would be a little more useful if it gave some idea about when and how they are used. Should I write キツヽキ to save ink? Can I write 聞ゝたい, 聞々たい or きゝたい or none of them? –  Earthliŋ Feb 25 at 17:20
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.