Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

ちょっと君に話しがある I saw this sentence in my downloaded deck of cards. Does it make sense.

Why does it feel like "You have a little bit of a story in you". How do you interpret this? What does the に? In other words, is it a target particle for the ある or 話.

The way I see it it should be broken up as "君に話"  + "がある" not 君に話がある

share|improve this question

What does "target particle" mean? –  virmaior Feb 25 at 4:30

I take it to mean "I have a story for you" (colloquially we would say "can you give me a minute? I have a story to tell you") –  virmaior Feb 25 at 4:32

Target particle means it is a particle which shows where the action or object or whatever is aimed at. I get what it is supposed to translate as, what I don't understand is how に is being used. It places the story with 君 because it is saying Xにある means it exists at X. –  Nathan Feb 25 at 5:00

3 Answers 3

In this case, 「に」 is not a location marker. It indicates the receiving end of an action, offer, request, order, etc. So, 「[君]{きみ} = "you"」 is on the receiving end here.

「[話]{はな}し」 does not mean "a story" here. Rather, it means "a word" as in "to have a word with someone".

「~~に話しがある」 should be remembered as a set phrase meaning "would like a word with ~~".

Thus, 「ちょっと君に話しがある。」 means "I'd like a word with you."

share|improve this answer

You cannot break it up as

*[君に話]がある

since Japanese does not allow postpositional phrases to modify nouns without a の. So the phrase should be parsed

[君に][話が]ある

You might find it strange that the 君に modifies ある, not 話, since in English the most natural parse would be "I have a [present for you]". However, English actually also allows the above parse, e.g. "[For you], I have [a present]". This might help you to understand the Japanese parse intuitively.

What if you wanted 君に to modify 話 instead? Syntactically you could, turning it into

*[君への話]がある

(にの is not allowed, and becomes への), but this is not very natural. The reason is that these postpositional phrases with の mostly modify definite nouns, and do not work well with 話, which is indefinite (a story, a talk).

However, changing the noun a bit, you could construct a meaningful pair highlighting the difference:

君にプレゼントがある I have a present (indefinite) for you
君へのプレゼントはあそこにある My present for you (definite) is over there

に in this case goes with ある. 話し = "something to tell you, conversaton" is just a noun.

Another example is 君にプレゼントがある = I have a present for you.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.