Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to tell my friend that he can stay at my house as long as he wants.

I was thinking:

泊まるのは何ヶ日でもいいです。

or

泊まりたい程泊まってもいいです。

What is the correct way?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Both of those work with a little fixing.

何日でも泊まってもいい

泊まりたいだけ泊まってもいい

or

好きなだけ泊まってもいい

Hell, throw it all together and you can sound like a super welcoming friend lol.

何日でも好きなだけ泊まってくれ!

share|improve this answer

さーせん。I didn't even realise you'd posted until I did lol. –  Ash Feb 24 at 3:37
@TokyoNagoya Ash's answer was posted only one minute after yours. It seems more likely that Ash was typing it before yours was posted... –  snailboat Feb 24 at 4:08

Exactly. Thanks. –  Ash Feb 24 at 8:08
add comment

To choose between the two sentences, the first one is much better by the native standards. However, 「何ヶ日」 sounds very awkward. 「[何日]{なんにち}」 is the correct word. You can also say 「[何ヶ月]{なんかげつ}」 if you guys are talking long-term, but not 「何ヶ日」, which is probably why I, a native speaker, do not know how to read it.

Your second sentence is incorrect because of the use of 「[程]{ほど}」. Replace it with 「だけ」 and you will have a correct sentence.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for your answer. I don't think Ash meant to do 後出し. I value both answers very much and I wish I could accept them both, but since I can't I chose one randomly –  Martin Drozdik Feb 24 at 3:29

Would 存分に be awkward here? –  ssb Feb 24 at 3:40
@ssb Yeah I think you could say 思う存分泊まっていくがよい!うわははは to sound like 時代劇 –  Chocolate Feb 24 at 7:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.