Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For instance, I'm trying to say 'I would die from boredom' and the best I can come up with is

死ぬのから退屈だ

However, I strongly suspect this isn't correct. It would also be useful to have the phrase "I suffer from..." laid out as well.

share|improve this question
Pardon the silly question: are you trying to talk about literally dying, or are you using it as a figure of speech (to express "I would be extremely bored")? –  snailboat Feb 23 at 16:46
May I suggest using a dictionary? eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=die+of+boredom –  dainichi Feb 24 at 0:07

I'm assuming it was a figure of speech...人間はどんなに退屈でも死にはしませんから(笑) Luckily you can use the same figure of speech in Japanese. –  Ash Feb 24 at 2:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

This is Japanese. We can't be confident in a translation without knowledge like who you're talking to, your relative status, written or spoken, what setting, etc. etc.

退屈で死ぬ would mean "to die from boredom". で is often used to mark the means or cause of something (cf. 病気で死ぬ=die from an illness, 水不足で死ぬ=die from dehydration, etc). Note that the particle marks what is before it. So you could say like 退屈で死ぬかもしれない for 'I would die from boredom'. To a friend in everyday conversation though, I would probably say something more like 退屈すぎて死ぬわ.

share|improve this answer

死ぬほど退屈 is also a common way to say "bored to death" –  Ryan Feb 23 at 16:05

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.