Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a few songs I've heard recently I've noticed that nan desu (without the か) has been used in what seems to be maybe a declarative or emphatic sense (not really sure), is this possible? I'm not overly familiar with usage of nan desu outside of it being used in the question sense (i.e. nan desu ka). If someone could clarify uses of nan desu I would be super appreciative.

share|improve this question

The previous commenter definitely has a point, but more context is needed to know what is the local function of the expression you want to know more about. –  Inquisitor Feb 21 at 22:13

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

There is なのです (often contracted to なんです), which fits the bill. Just like you suspect, it is declarative/emphatic.

This なんです is unrelated to 何{なん}です, but rather a combination of な (the inflection of the copula だ, if you like), the nominalizer の plus the "politifier" です.

It also exists in non-polite form: なのだ・なんだ.

It really appears everywhere, e.g. as a conjunction なので or question marker ~なんですか. (Again, unrelated to 何.)

share|improve this answer

Very informative, thanks for the clarification! –  mattb Feb 22 at 16:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.