Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate "10 facts about Japan"?

I looked it up but there seem to be many translations for fact, and I'm not sure if I should use ないじつ, じこう or something else.

Thanks.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Depending on the severity of what you are trying to convey, there are different options.

If it's very objective matter -- possibly a strong or stern tone like in a news report or something -- I think 事実 is probably best. This would best suit a scenario like:

10 facts about Japan

1. The capital is Tokyo
  2. The literacy rate is over 95%
  3. ...

However, if it's something more casual -- for example, personal observations that you're writing in a blog -- you might want to use [豆知識]{まめ・ち・しき}. This translates more along the lines of "trivia", "fun facts", or "tidbits".

share|improve this answer

"10 (hard/actual) facts about Japan" does not sound like a very likely title: "10 things you did not know about Japan", yes, "Ten little known facts about Japan", yes, but this (ie ""... "") is not easy to translate meaniningfully. –  Tim Feb 21 at 22:57
@Tim: I did not mean to imply that "(hard/actual)" was part of the title; simply giving some characterization to the type of facts I was trying to convey. –  istrasci Feb 22 at 0:01
10の事実(jijitsu) is the best, I think. And more colloquial expression is 10の事(koto). –  noel_lapin Feb 22 at 6:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.