Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

According to my information, this postcard was sent from Japan to Russia, and probably in 1945.
Needs a translation badly and nobody has seemed to care since then. I suppose that the historical kana usage can take place here. Front of the postcard Back of the postcard

P.S.: Yes, a translation request, but definitely not the usual case, somewhat intricate, otherwise I would be able to translate it myself. Yet feel free to close it if you think that it just does not fit.

share|improve this question
OMG First time I have ever been moved by something on SE! This postcard belongs in a museum with two addresses on it --- both were parts of Japan back then but both are foreign countries now. Incredible! –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 19 at 14:07

They will close this thread shortly, I am sure. If they do, contact me by leaving a message in the chat room. I can read and understand every single character and word on this with no problems. –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 19 at 14:47
Thank you! Why don't you try to answer right here? –  Nikkou Feb 19 at 14:51
@TokyoNagoya The community decides what to close, so if people don't vote to close a question (even if it would normally be considered off-topic), it will stay open forever :-) –  snailboat Feb 20 at 2:57
oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/8483045.html I made a question about this on 教えて!goo. Answer No.2 notes a lot of the same things which I found strange about this text but no definite answer... –  Ash Feb 20 at 5:38
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

郵便はがき postcard. 大日本 Dai Nippon "big Japan" or "Japanese empire". 樺太 Kara Futo, Sakhalin. 大泊町 Oh Tomari Cho, literally means "big harbor town". 東 east. 三条 3rd street. 南 south. 一ノ十一 one hyphen eleven.

髙橋 Taka Hashi, family name. 久男 Hisa O, a male name. 様 polite addressing like "Sir".

北満 Hoku Man, northern Manchuria. 龍江省 a Chinese geometric name, literally means "dragon river state". 狐池(fox pond) or 狐地(fox land). ニテ means "at", he wrote this letter at the 狐池 in 龍江省 of 北満. 久友 Hisa Tomo, a male name, the writer of this letter. 満巽 Man Tatsumi, I don't know what Man Tatsumi means.

謹賀新年 A Happy New Year. 皆 everyone. すこやかに healthy. 元気 vigorous. です is (indicates present tense).

手紙 a letter. 一通 one, 通 tsu is a numerical unit (nominal measure word) for letters. を indicates object of a verb. 出しません don't write.

でした was (indicates past tense, I didn't drop a line). が but/although. 然して (shikou si te) although. 悪い bad. 心 heart.

から from. でわありません is not.

此の this. 写眞 or 写真 photo. は is/equals. 北満 northern Manchuria. - The following two characters I can't read; it is の町 "town of" - thanks Earthliŋ :-)

の of. 夕 evening. X(寒 cold) -> O(暮 sunset) - thanks Tokyo Nagoya :-)

支 China. 満 Manchuria. の of. 雪 snow.

share|improve this answer
I think it is "kono syasin ha hokuman no mati" (sorry, no kana input). –  Earthliŋ Feb 19 at 14:54
夕暮 at the end, not 夕寒. –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 19 at 14:56
Amazing to me that anyone could decipher that –  ssb Feb 19 at 15:06

I think [満]{みつる} and [巽]{たつみ?} are male names. –  Chocolate Feb 19 at 15:40

As @Earthliŋ has said, it says 北満の[町]{まち}の[夕暮]{ゆうぐれ}. –  Chocolate Feb 19 at 16:16
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.