Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following sentence to translate for class.

頭と歯と指と耳と足が痛くて、
苦しくて、
気持ちが悪かったので、
九時半すぎに
薬局に行かせた。

So far I have the following.

My head and teeth and fingers and ears and legs/feet hurt and
it was painful and
my feeling was bad so
a bit after 9:30
I made him go to the pharmacy. 

I am not sure if I am missing something about the nuances of the pain structures. The 2nd and 3rd rows seem a bit redundant to the 1st row. Is there some special meaning I am missing?

Also, is the すぎ correctly translated as "a bit after"?

share|improve this question
You translated 気持ちが悪かった too literally. It does not mean what you said. –  非回答者 Feb 19 at 3:18

Maybe "I felt bad"? It all just seems so redundant. –  Rachel G. Feb 19 at 3:22
I think you mean to ask "is the すぎ correctly translated as "a bit after", not "before": すぎ comes from the verb 過ぎる which means exceed or pass. In this case it just means after but you could infer "a bit". It depends on the context. –  Tim Feb 19 at 11:02
The 気持ちが悪かった means 吐き気がした. –  Choko Feb 19 at 16:02

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

苦しい has more of a connotation of suffering, or going through hardship.

Because the speaker is suffering from hurting in all these places, 気持ちが悪くなった。

share|improve this answer

I feel the English word "painful" is related to the bodily ache, but 苦しい can mean more total suffering including body and mind.

すぎ or 過ぎ means after/over.

I think "my feeling was bad" is a correct translation.

share|improve this answer

So, "My feeling was bad" means "I felt nauseated / I felt like throwing up"? –  Choko Feb 19 at 16:01
@Chocolate "My feeling was bad" doesn't mean anything in English as far as I can tell... –  snailboat Feb 20 at 0:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.