Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

To make articles as short as possible in newspapers, certain conventions are used. One such convention is that when a sentence ends with サ変名詞{へんめいし}、「をする」is omitted. Another is that the full names of companies, such as "三菱重工業株式会社" can be abbreviated as "三菱重工".

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that abbreviated writing style has a formal name. What is it?
What are some other conventions?

share|improve this question
The inclusive word for the set of rules for this purpose is named 見出し文法 and each abbreviated word used in it is just called 省略語. –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 17 at 8:50

@TokyoNagoya Is 発信, e.g., abbreviated? That is, would it be called a 省略語? –  Earthliŋ Feb 17 at 18:33

@Earthliŋ 発信 as the antonym of 受信? I do not think so. –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 21 at 11:03

@TokyoNagoya It's just that the OP included an example of 体言止め and I wasn't sure whether to interpret your comment to mean that 体言止め (e.g. 発信, 受信, whatever) is an "abbreviation" (because (を)する is omitted). I didn't think that the Japanese thought of 体言止め as "abbreviation". –  Earthliŋ Feb 21 at 11:48

@Earthin I just used "abbreviated writing style" as a catch-all for how to compact newspaper articles. In my opinion, relative to English articles, Japanese articles are both extremely short and very difficult to read. I'm trying to connect these two characteristics. –  kinyo Feb 21 at 14:30
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

As I stated in the comment, the set of "rules" that are used to save space in newspapers and magazines (nowadays, websites as well) is commonly called [見出]{みだ}し[文法]{ぶんぽう}, literally meaning "headline grammar".

Some of the characteristics of 見出し文法 are:

1) Use of [省略語]{しょうりゃくご} (abbreviated words).

2) Omission of all forms of 「する」,「なる」,「いる」 and 「ある」. Instead of 「オバマ[大統領]{だいとうりょう}が[来日]{らいにち}する(or した)= "President Obama visits/visited Japan."」, you will see a 「オバマ大統領来日」 as the headline.

3) Omission of particles -- most importantly, that of が and を. I say "most importantly" because, as many of you would know, particles in general often get omitted in informal conversations, but が and を are the ones that are least often omitted. For this reason, the omission of those two in 見出し文法 is of significance.

You will see a 「俳優TN警官刺し逃走」with just a single kana instead of a 「[俳優]{はいゆう}TNが[警官]{けいかん}を[刺]{さ}して[逃走]{とうそう}している」= "Actor T.N. stabs policeman and runs away."

4) Omission of the predictable verb following the object of the phrase. For instance, if a native speaker saw the short phrase 羽生「金」, he will be able to tell that it is the 見出し form of the sentence 「[羽生]{はにゅう}が[金]{きん}メダルを[獲得]{かくとく}した」 = "Hanyuu won the gold medal."

***Please note that only #1 above is used in BOTH headlines and articles. The other techniques are used only in headlines.

share|improve this answer

Those type of conventions are what I am hoping to learn. Thank you so much. –  kinyo Feb 21 at 14:36
add comment

I do not know the formal name for it; but, I would call it 略称{りゃくしょう} ("name abbreviation") or 略語{りゃくご} ("abbreviation"). There is an article on Wikipedia about 略語 (Japanese).

Another example that comes to mind is country/region names. Some often seen in the news are:

• Germany: 独{どく} (from 独逸{ドイツ})
  • France: 仏{ふつ} (from 仏蘭西{フランス})
  • UK: 英{えい} or 英国{えいこく} (from 英吉利{イギリス})
  • USA: 米{べい} or 米国{べいこく} (from 亜米利加{アメリカ})
  • Australia: 豪{ごう} or 豪州{ごうしゅう} (from 濠太剌利亜{オーストラリア})
  • South Africa: 南ア{なんあ} (from 南{みなみ}アフリカ共和国{きょうわこく})
  • Europe: 欧{おう} or 欧州{おうしゅう} (from 欧羅巴{ヨーロッパ})
  • Northern Europe: 北欧{ほくおう}
  • South America: 南米{なんべい}
  • North America: 北米{ほくべい}
  • East Asia: 東亜{とうあ} (from 東{ひがし} and 亜細亜{アジア})

For a more exhaustive list, you might also check out the list of 漢字{かんじ} for country names on Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer

Why the downvote? –  execjosh Feb 23 at 12:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.