Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What´s the difference between なってきています and なっています?

For example: お隣の人達、大丈夫? ヤバくなってきているよ。

Would it´s meaning change significantly if it´s changed into: お隣の人達、大丈夫? ヤバくなっているよ。

share|improve this question

なってきています = it is starting to become ... / it has started to become ... なっています = it is becoming ... –  virmaior Feb 15 at 16:15

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

It would be helpful if gave specific examples because what seems like a simple question touches some quite complicated grammar, which I will try to cover briefly:

First you need to understand the nature of ~ている. There are several questions covering this quite well so I won't repeat them but will try to summarise:

なる is a "punctual verb", that is to say that when using the ~ている form, the resultative state precludes the continuative state. In other words if we say:

この地方は交通が便利になっています。

This usually means:

In this region the public transport has become convenient. (i.e. "is convenient")

It can also mean "is becoming convenient" but to convey that sense (ie it is in a transition state) additional words, typically adverbs are often used to create the context. eg:

この地方は交通がだんだん便利になっています。

In this region the public transport is gradually becoming [more and more]convenient.

Second: 〜てくる/〜ていくis used to convey change in position or time. Often these communicate the movement/action of the speaker (「いってきます!」)or movement of something/action with respect to the speaker (「電話がかかってきた」)but they can also be used to convey continuation of a state or "process of change". eg:

この地方が交通がだんだん便利になってきた。これからは観光客が多くなっていくと思う

In this region public transport gradually became convenient. Going forwards, I think the number of tourists will be very large.

share|improve this answer

I´ve added an example. Reading your explanation, would I be correct in concluding ~てきています can always be translated into ~ing and with ~ています it depends on the specific verb/context? –  user4693 Feb 16 at 12:43

If you want to convey something is "in progress", or in the "continuative state" with a verb like なっている then context is all important: Not entirely sure about your example but I would say やばくなっている implies they are in trouble, ヤバくなってきている indicates they were not in trouble before but they have got into and are still in trouble (which is only a small difference). ている and てくる are separate subjects. Have a look at the answers other questions on these areas and this website, recently recommended by Snailplan: homepage3.nifty.com/park/aspect.htm –  Tim Feb 16 at 15:59

Thanks for answering(and everyone else too of course). The link looks especially promising. –  user4693 Feb 16 at 16:57

For example, 暖かくなってきています is "it's getting warm" while 暖かくなっています is "it has become warm" = "it is warm".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.