Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Several years back, I learned from a free Japanese podcast that referring to something with 'sonnano' or 'annano' is a way of looking down on it / speaking of it as an undesirable thing. There have been times when I've heard these terms used in sentences that sounded like the speaker was talking about something they found distasteful, but other times when it seemed the speaker had no real personal opinion on the subject.

Are these terms used to speak of undesirable things every time they are used? Are there other phrases similar that are used for the same purpose?

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help with my question! *^_^*

share|improve this question

Thank you for the edits, snailplane! ^_^ hehe... ironic that I'd spell them wrong in romaji.. lol –  Aurura Feb 14 at 8:02
add comment

1 Answer

そんなの and あんなの are demonstrative phrases that are often used when talking about something with less interest. however, these are not alwas used since japanese people care about how the others look at you.

for example, if you have no interest in something, you may say そんなのどうでもいいよ。 this can be used in a conversation when you have no interest in what the other say. however, this may be disrespectful if you are talking to someone you are not so close with.

in these cases, japanese people use something called as 相槌を打つ(aizuchi wo utsu). this is, making yourself as if you have interest in the conversation. the useful phrases in this相槌を打つ are

そうだね なるほど うん すごいね

and more. Japanese people use these phrases in a combination to make themselves look like as if they are interested.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.