Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I heard today in my Japanese class my sensei pronouncing ひと the "ひ" like し my teacher is not from a Japanese origin he studied there. I want to know is this pronunciation right? Should I pronounce every ひ as し? Or ひと is the only case?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Dono, Earthliŋ, virmaior, ssb Feb 17 at 12:13

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Neither, really. Merging し and ひ happens in certain dialects, and your teacher probably studied somewhere where that merger is common. You can choose to do it this way, or you can choose to not.

(It has nothing to do with the individual word ひと, though. Some people might merge し and ひ in some places and not others, and before a /t/ might be one of those places, but it's not a single-word phenomenon.)

share|improve this answer

The 「ひ」 in 「ひと」 is usually pronounced as kind of a silent huff of air.

Similar to how 「し」 is pronounced as a silent sound in 「している」 (like saying "sh-teiru).

Or how 「つ」 is a silent sound in a word like 「みつけた」. (like saying the 'ts' sound without sounding out the 'u' in 'tsu').

But pronouncing these as 'silent sounds' is only for certain words. There are definitely plenty of other vocabulary where these are fully sounded out.

I hope that helps somewhat! *^_^*

share|improve this answer

do you mean the い in the し on している? –  virmaior Feb 15 at 4:38

I actually meant how the only significant sound you hear out of 「し」 in that word is the 'sh' sound in it. It's basically the same difference. The 'sh' is heard in it and the 'i' is not. –  Aurura Feb 15 at 6:36

It appears that you're describing "devoiced vowels". See this question for some discussion. –  snailboat Feb 15 at 14:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.