Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Foreign professional qualifications that are well known have accepted translations. For example:

  • US Certified Public Accountant, CPA, is 米国公認会計士、which is close to the Japanese equivalent.
  • Chartered Accountant (the equivalent of a CPA in the UK, Canada and other Commonwealth countries) is 著許会計士. The kanji chosen here refer to the Royal charters under which the various CA qualifications were created.

As for "private" qualifications (ie those not recognised in law)that have "Certified" in their original English names:

  • Some use 公認 (eg Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) =公認財務アナリスト),
  • Others do not (eg Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) = 不正検査士)

I am asking because there are some newer "private" qualifications that are known but have not yet been passed by many Japanese and based on my research do not have a commonly accepted Japenese translation:Can one use 公認 to be consistent with the English name?

(One example of these would be the "Certified Financial Risk Manager" set by an organisation called GARP (http://www.garp.org/frm/frm-program.aspx?gclid=CLe78tKBx7wCFVDLtAodiGsAVQ), one could just say ファイナンシャル・リスク・マネジャー, to be consistent with the initials (FRM), but 公認 would be more consistent with the English name.)

share|improve this question
what about ~の資格を持っている? Too verbose? –  ssb Feb 13 '14 at 0:05
@ssb:The question relates to translation of the names of qualifications using "certified" (eg Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) =公認財務アナリスト). Possibly my use of the word "describe" was misleading. I'll revise it. Thanks. –  Tim Feb 13 '14 at 5:34
Yeah sorry I realize that now. At any rate I'll just drop this in here as a potential reference: eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=certified&ref=sa –  ssb Feb 13 '14 at 6:12
(Thanks - Actually this was one my references.) –  Tim Feb 14 '14 at 12:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.