Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As Chinese was my first language, when learning how to read Japanese, I would sometimes get stuck on a sequence of kana, but then understand completely when the relevant kanji was substituted in its place. Similarly, when I write stuff, I tend to use kanji whenever possible to make clear the meaning of the words.

Is this normal for people from a Chinese background? Or is it just me trying to leverage my knowledge of Chinese as much as possible, regardless of whether it actually helps?

share|improve this question
This question appears to be off-topic because it isn't really about the Japanese language –  ssb Feb 11 at 11:06
I think the basic answer to his question is that Chinese-by-language users of Japanese tend to use kanji differently and more than Japanese native speakers looking at it as a foreigner. But I don't have studies to back that up –  virmaior Feb 11 at 12:34
add comment

closed as off-topic by ssb, virmaior, Dono, EarthliƋ, istrasci Feb 11 at 16:00

• This question does not appear to be about the Japanese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.