Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am discussing via email about a file, and I want to ask "What is the size of the file?"

Here is my try: サイズは何ですか?

I realize it sounds weird though, and サイズはどのぐらいですか? might sound better but I am afraid that the ぐらい will imply I want an approximate size, which is not true: I want the exact size.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A natural way of asking that would be:

「ファイルのサイズを[教]{おし}えてください。」

If it is for business, one could say:

「ファイルのサイズをお教えいただけますか。」

The problem with 「サイズは[何]{なん}ですか?」 is that while it is a perfectly grammatical sentence, it sounds like it was "translated" from anothet language, which it was. When I read that part, it reminded me of the sentence 「[名前]{なまえ}は何ですか。」 which is also often said by Japanese-learners.

share|improve this answer

If I don't get an immediate response to a question like this then follow up by repeating the question using alternative words like: ファイルの大きさはいくつのメガバイト(MB)ですか。 –  Tim Feb 10 at 10:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.