Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The complete sentence is this:

ハンジは仲間を喰った

その巨人の腹をかっさいた

I can't really understand the meaning, why is it ハンジは istead of ハンジの?

Then we have 腹をかっさいた. 腹 means stomach while かっさい means to cheer, to make an ovation?

Thanks for your help.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It needs to be ハンジは and not ハンジの because it is the subject that performed the two actions described --- 「[仲間]{なかま}を[喰]{く}った」 and 「その[巨人]{きょじん}の[腹]{はら}をかっさいた」.

「その巨人」 refers to the 「仲間」.

「かっさいた」 = 「かっ裂いた」 = "ripped open" said in the animated tough guy language using 「かっ」, a verb prefix for that purpose.

"Haiji ate his friend. He ripped open the giant's abdomen."

For your reference, other emphatic verb prefixes include 「おっ」、「つっ」、「とっ」、「ひっ」、「ぶっ」、「ぶん」, etc. Unfortunately, these are rarely interchangeable. I will not get into that here, though.

share|improve this answer
I haven't seen/read 進撃の巨人 (which I am assuming this is from...) but is it not possible that it could be ハンジは【仲間を喰ったその巨人】の腹をかっさいた? Slicing a stomach seems like something that might be done in revenge for having your friend eaten... –  Hyperworm Feb 9 at 6:00

@Hyperworm That would be more than just possible. Lines from manga can be difficult to decipher without the drawings AND punctuations. –  非回答者 Feb 9 at 6:15
@TokyoNagoya Then maybe ハンジは仲間を喰ったその巨人の腹をかっさいた is one sentence, like "Hanji ripped open the abdomen of the giant who ate his(=Hanji's) friends", no? –  Choko Feb 9 at 6:40

@Chocolate Yes! That would make more sense even though I am unfamiliar with the story. –  非回答者 Feb 9 at 6:44

@TokyoNagoya Yes I was considering already Hanji was the one who ripped the stomach of the titans. Anyway there wasn't any puntuaction, the sentece was written exactly like this. –  bunny Feb 9 at 14:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.