Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While at first I believed it was simply bound to each individual word, I've noticed that the same onomatopoeic word sometimes has と after it and sometimes it doesn't.

Here's a case I stumbled upon:

踊り手は つま先立ってぐるぐると回った

犬が自分のしっぽを追いかけてぐるぐる回っている

What difference does the inclusion of と make?

share|improve this question
It would be interesting to know if there is a rule but I concluded it was case by case, and in some cases the と was optional: If you look up the section on onomatopoeic words in the Dictionary Basic Japanese Grammar you will see that for number of words the と is in brackets. –  Tim Feb 8 at 10:10

1 Answer 1

I am going to post a rather simplistic answer just covering the basics. 

There are cases (1) where adding a 「と」 is appropriate, (2) where adding a 「と」 is inappropriate, and (3) where only adding a 「に」, not a 「と」 is appropriate.

1) When an onomatopoeia functions adverbially to modify a verb, a 「と」 is often added. In very informal speech, on the contrary, it is often omitted.

「ワンワンと[犬]{いぬ}が[鳴]{な}いている。」 = "A dog is barking 'bowwow'."

「[女]{おんな}はトウキョウナゴヤをゴツンと[殴]{なぐ}り、[部屋]{へや}を[出]{で}ていった。」= "The woman clonked TokyoNagoya in the head and ran out of the room."

2) When an onomatopoeia is used with the verb 「する」, it is inappropriate to add a 「と」.

「ニコニコするなっ!ここは[陸軍]{りくぐん}だ!マクドナルドじゃねえぞっ!」 = "Don't be smiling! This is the Army, not McDonald's!"

「トウキョウナゴヤは[仕事]{しごと}もしないでブラブラしている。」 = "TokyoNagoya is bumming around all day."

3) When describing a change of state using an onomatopoeia, one would generally need to add a 「に」 instead of a 「と」.

「くたくたになるまで[歩]{ある}いた。」 = "I walked until I was pooped."

「きんきんに[冷]{ひ}やしたビールはうまい。」 = "Ice-cold beer tastes good."

share|improve this answer

does the distinction between 擬音語 and 擬態語 matter at all? –  ssb Feb 9 at 9:36

So when と is optional for an onomatopeia used adverbially, it's merely a matter of formality whether it should be included or not? –  Daniel Safari Feb 9 at 12:56
Do Japanese people really use 鳴く for dogs instead of [吠]{ほ}える? –  istrasci Feb 10 at 4:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.