Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand the meaning of this phrase, but I have a hard time understanding how it's constructed.

In phrases like それで or というわけで you have a noun plus the particle で. This looks superficially similar, except that それが元(です) is a sentence, not a noun (or noun phrase).

What's going on here? Is there a bunch of other stuff being left unspoken?

share|improve this question
any context for where you're seeing it? – ssb Feb 7 '14 at 17:52
I have read this question several times and am thinking either the answer should already be obvious to you, or I don't understand what you're asking. Do you realize that you can have practically any sentence ending in で and then follow it by another sentence? – Earthliŋ Feb 7 '14 at 22:42
aren't they different types of で? particle-で and conjunction-で (which I understood was a shortened version of です) – momerathe Feb 8 '14 at 11:33
They're both the same; they're both the -て form of だ/です/である. There's a different で that's a particle, but that means something completely different. – Sjiveru Feb 8 '14 at 16:47
Is this part of a conversation? If so could you post the conversation in its entirety? – dotnetN00b Feb 10 '14 at 21:28

1 Answer 1

Might be worthwhile rendering it into partial English:

So, with that as the 元, ...

And 元 can mean foundation, start, beginning, entranceway, original,... it could be rendered many ways.

Essentially, this construction requires that there be a preceding sentence/clause/word to point to. (それが)

You could also see it as

それが元となって, or それを元として, ...

So you're wondering if it's related to それで or というわけで

Kind-of. というわけで is literally "by way of the [mentioned] reason" or "for that reason" in more natural English. The で in the phrase you posted can also be interpreted as "by way of [this] 元... (something occurred) "

Well you asked this over a month ago, but I wrote out this response so, I'll post it in case it's useful to someone down the line.

share|improve this answer
We do not say 「それが元として」 (and it was over a year ago when this question was asked). – l'électeur Mar 19 at 0:48
well, sorry for trying to participate, I just hit the Unaswered button and gave it my best shot. Yeah, it should be sore WO moto to shite, my bad. – sova Mar 19 at 2:56
By the way, answering old questions is totally okay―it doesn't matter if the question was asked over a year ago. – snailboat Mar 19 at 19:04
thanks for the head's up, snailboat! – sova Mar 19 at 22:53
"Bumping" old questions is perfectly acceptable, and even encouraged, when you have something new to contribute. And old/unanswered questions even get bumped by the software every now and then. – blutorange Mar 21 at 9:49

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.