Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having a little trouble parsing the usage of という when it it has meanings other than 'to call' and so forth.

I often see sentences like いざという時, ということだ and これという問題はない. The Dictionary I use gives the definition: とりたてて言う意を表す。 But I'm still quite unsure about it. If someone could explain How that definition fits into those uses then I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

という actually has multiple meanings. This part of Tae Kim's Guide should be a good read for you: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/define

share|improve this answer
add comment

I believe ultimately it comes down to "say" or "call" itself. これという問題はない can be interpreted as there is no question "said like this" or "called such" = There is no question. Similarly, ということだ is the thing "said" or "called". I have heard どういうことだ which they translate it to "What do you mean?" Taking it very literally, "What is the thing you are 'saying'?" = "What do you mean to say?" Hope someone can make it more clear.

share|improve this answer

Also, when someone is explaining something, ends their sentence and then says "ということで, (...)" which means "that being said, (...)" –  Kitet Feb 10 at 19:42
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.