Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've noticed a few words like these:

恥ずかしがり屋{や}
寂しがり屋
怖がり屋

I've only noticed this with a few adjectives, like the ones above, and with verbs with たい:

目立ちたがり屋

I suppose this ending is just a combination of がる and 屋. I thought that perhaps がり屋 might be considered a special combination, but I couldn't find it in any dictionaries. I did find this definition for 屋 in 明鏡国語辞典, which I think is the relevant one:

それを専門とする人や、そのような性質の人である意を表す。

We already have a question asking whether 〜がる is limited to specific adjectives. So I guess the question I want to ask is this: can I use がり屋 for any word where I can use がる? Or is it strange outside of those few words where it seems to be commonly used, like 恥ずかしがり屋?

share|improve this question

「目立ちたがり屋」 may not belong in that group without an "adjective" used in it like in the others? –  非回答者 Feb 7 at 10:18

I also hear 寒がりや and 面倒くさがりや quite often. –  Earthliŋ Feb 7 at 13:57

@TokyoNagoya Oh, I didn't think to talk about verb+たい separately. Thank you for pointing that out and describing it separately in your answer! –  snailboat Feb 7 at 14:47

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

After a few minutes of murmuring to myself, I am going to say that basically, the 「~~がり[屋]{や}」 form will stand if the 「~~がり」form stands with an adjective. The naturalness and frequency of use of the 「~~がり屋」 form as an independent word look to be in direct proportion to those of its 「~~がり」form.

Among the ones that might not make their way into the dictionary but are actually quite often used would be 「[悲]{かな}しがり屋」、「[嬉]{うれ}しがり屋」, etc. I myself was often called 「[痛]{いた}がり屋」 as a kid because I was susceptible to pain.

The ones that sound less natural to me include 「[楽]{たの}しがり屋」、「[難]{むずか}しがり屋」, etc. but those are still heard occasionally if not frequently.

I would need to conclude that with adjectives, one does not have a wide variety of common 「~~がり屋」 forms because it works only with simple adjectives describing rather simple human emotions and sensations.

With verbs, however, one can and does use the 「~~たがり屋」 form much more freely even though only a few could be found in the dictionary. Anything goes in this category because all you need is the name of an action you want to peform --- 見たがり屋、行きたがり屋、食べたがり屋、飲みたがり屋、知りたがり屋、読みたがり屋 --- anything!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.