Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Okay, according to the (monolingual) dictionary that I use it is used to indicate "doing something with strong will or determination" (my translation) e.g.飛び降りてやる! But this definition seems a little too vague for me, is there anything that it actually translates to in English?

I've seen some sources claim that it still means "do" but I'm unsure because I have come across constructs like やってやる!.

Thanks in advance

share|improve this question

i've seen examples of this where it kind of means "-te miseru". it seems sarcastic to me. i think there's also a sarcastic usage of kureru, like when somebody does something that inconveniences you. –  ogicu8abruok Feb 5 at 13:15

1 Answer 1

「Verb + てやる」 has two (very) different meanings/usages.

1) To offer to do something in a patronizing or condescending tone as to demand gratitude.

2) To proactively perform an action, or perform an action so as to prove one's ability to others.

OP seems to be talking about #2 above.

My own example sentences:

1) 「[心配]{しんぱい}するな。1[年]{ねん}くらいオレが[食]{た}べさせてやる。」 = "Don't worry. I'll feed (or 'take care of') you for a year or so."

2) 「[見]{み}てろ!2[年以内]{ねんいない}に[大]{だい}リーガーになってやる!」 = "Be watching. I will be a major leaguer within two years!"

share|improve this answer

Thanks for your answer. I know both meanings, but I was wondering if there was a better explanation than the slightly rigid one offered by the monolingual dictionary. In other words, is there an English word it translates to? –  user4096 Feb 5 at 15:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.