Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The text I'm asking about comes from a brochure selling pens with bodies of traditional decorated Imari porcelain. Here's the pen design, with its name:

黄緑彩兜唐草 黄緑彩兜唐草

From another brochure, I gather that the reading is: おうりょくさいかぶとからくさ.

I understand that 黄緑彩(おうりょくさい) describes the yellow-green color, and 唐草(からくさ) describes the arabesque pattern. But what's the 兜(かぶと) doing in there?

I have a theory that it might refer to a plant called 鳥兜(トリカブト), but I can't confirm it.

share|improve this question
could it be a reference to the style/shape of the pen? –  ssb Feb 3 at 15:26
I would just assume it refers to the cap; pens of that style of cap, as opposed to a smaller "clip" style cap, or none at all. But that's just my intuition. –  istrasci Feb 3 at 16:47

@istraci I don't think so. The kiln produces three different pens, all in the same shape. Only this one has 兜 in it's name. But thanks for trying. –  Pitarou Feb 4 at 2:53

@ssb See my response to istraci. –  Pitarou Feb 4 at 2:56

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think that 兜唐草 is the name of a particular arabesque pattern by 源右衛門, a well-known pottery store. In particular, this pattern:

兜唐草

The imagery of 兜 is being strong or forceful. In that sense, 兜唐草 seems to be well-suited as a name for fancy accessories like a pen or a wallet. (The name for pattern for a plate or a piece of cloth might be more something like 雅唐草.)

I don't think that the choice of 兜 is related to トリカブト, the aconite plant, as there is no particular resemblance of the pattern with the aconite plant.

share|improve this answer

Thank you. That's an extremely helpful answer. And, yes, the pen body is made by the Gen-emon Kiln. –  Pitarou Feb 4 at 2:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.