Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Prior to the development of the な particle (presumably from なる) several hundred years ago, what constructions were used where な-construtions are currently used? E.g. in the phase きれいな女, would that have been きれいの女, 女のきれい, きれい女 (and would that be kireionna or kirei onna?), きれいなる女 or something else?

share|improve this question
I think that なる is used. –  user54609 Feb 1 at 20:39
なり and たり conjugate like ラ変 verbs. –  Zhen Lin Feb 2 at 1:51
「きれいな女」の「な」って、助詞なの? –  Choko Feb 2 at 15:58
@Chocolate 助詞というより助動詞かな? –  Zhen Lin Feb 2 at 18:25
Sorry, are you asking what developed into なる, or what developed into な? –  dainichi Feb 3 at 1:17

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It is from なる, in a way; but it may not be the one you're thinking of. The なる here is the 連体形 of the former copula なり, which itself derives from に+あり (modern ある). This seems to have been the copula as far back as we have records of. Indeed, this kind of adjective is younger than the copula it uses - these kinds of adjectives do not occur before the Heian-jidai.

A couple of forms do appear that have since become them (e.g. adjectives ending in -らか), but I don't know how these were used - my source (Bentley's Descriptive Grammar of Old Japanese Prose) mentions their existence, but only says that these なり-based adjectives are new as of the Heian-jidai; it says nothing at all about how they were used in Old Japanese. I would speculate that they're used in the very old adjective patterns that require no morphology at all: so just like you can get /awo sora/ (/səra/?) where you would expect /awo-ki sora/, I bet you could get /tapiraka umi/ when later you would expect /taɸiraka=naru umi/ (for 平らかな海).

As for きれい, it's a Chinese loanword, and was loaned after the creation of these kinds of adjectives. So there was never a point in time before きれいなる女 - you would have used a native Japanese word like 美しい, and so you would have either /utukusi-ki womina/ or the older /utukusi womina/.

share|improve this answer

/utukusi/ would be the 終止形【しゅうしけい】 or terminal form, which only ended a sentence. As such, /utukusi womina/ would not be correct. The 連体形【れんたいけい】 or attributive form would have to be used for the adjective to directly precede a noun, which would have been /utukusiki/. This is already the case in the Man'yōshū, written starting some time between the 300s or 400s and finalized around the mid-700s. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 16 at 22:23

Also, /awo/ and the other root Japanese color words (/aka/, /shiro/, /kuro/) are also nouns, so /awo sora/ is a compound of two nouns. /awoki/ as an adjective is indeed used, but not so much in set phrases, where the compound is the shorter and simpler formation. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 16 at 22:26

Lastly, the -らか and -やか adjectives were formed by adding suffixes -ら and -や, with -か then later added on as another suffix. According to Shogakukan, both -ら and -や indicated "XX kind of state or circumstances". -ら may be related to pluralizing suffix -ら as in 我【われ】ら, which was also used to imply "[noun] kind of thing", and -や may be related to particle や, similarly used to imply "[noun] kind of thing". Final suffix -か also indicated "kind of state", and I've read theories that this is related to the -か, -こ, and -く suffixes indicating "place, area". –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 16 at 22:36

All that said, though, 平【たひ】ら is a compound of prefix た- (of indeterminate meaning, apparent emphasizer) and ひら "flat". たひらか is thus たひら + か, not たひ + らか. There was also a regular /-si/ adjectival form たひらけし, with adjectivizing suffix -けし apparently 気 + し, a bit like modern 気【げ】 + な. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 16 at 22:50

As others have noted, the modern な particle used with -na adjectives evolved from なる, itself not the verb なる "to become", but instead a contraction of にある "to be in a state". So from newest form to oldest, using your example of きれい, we would have:

• 綺麗な女
  • 綺麗なる女
  • 綺麗にある女

The -naru form is still used in modern poetry and other contexts to give things a somewhat archaic and formal sense, such as in 静{しず}かなる田舎{いなか}, the quiet contryside.

Although the classical -naru adjectives did indeed seem to develop mostly in the Heian period (794-1185), the construction of [noun phrase] + にある + [noun] can already be found in the Man'yōshū, dating to some time between the mid-300s and the mid-700s. Example:

• Poem 165:
    宇都曽見乃 人尓有吾哉 従
    うつそみの人{ひと}にある我{わ}れや
    Here, utsusomi no hito is a noun phrase ("person in the real world", i.e. "someone who is still alive") used to modify ware ("I, me").

There is also at least one example I found of what may be an early -ni aru adjective in the Man'yōshū, 寛{ゆた}, classed in Shogakukan's Kokugo Dai Jiten as a 形容動詞{けいようどうし} (-na adjective):

• Poem 2367:
    大舟之 由多尓将有 人兒由恵尓
    大船{おほぶね}のゆたにあるらむ人{ひと}の子{こ}ゆゑに
    ...because [you're] the child of a person who is steadfast like a big ship
    Here, the phrase ohobune no yuta ("big ship's easygoing-ness / steadfastness / steadiness") is used to modify hito.

If you're interested in the history of -na adjectives, the 概要 section of the JA Wikipedia article on 形容動詞 describes how Heian-period writers suffixed -にあり (becoming -なり) and -とあり (becoming -たり) to nouns to create new classes of adjectives.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.