Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Something like?

今育児休業(いくじきゅうぎょう)です。

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think you can say

今、[育児休業中]{いくじきゅうぎょうちゅう} / [育児休暇中]{いくじきゅうかちゅう}です。
今、[育休]{いくきゅう}で休んでます。

for "I'm on paternal leave" (In Japan, normally starting 8 weeks after the birth of the child and ending by the time when the child turns one year old... I think), and

今、[産休中]{さんきゅうちゅう}です。
今、産休で休んでます。

for "I'm on maternity leave" (In Japan, normally for 6 weeks before and 8 weeks after the birth of the child... I think).

share|improve this answer

育児休業 is the right word.

If you are the woman giving birth, you could also use 産休.

share|improve this answer
I presume the OP didn't guess the word 育児休業 and knew it to be the right word, but isn't sure how to use it. A priori, there might be many options, the OP suggested 育児休業です; 育児休業を取っています, 育児休業中です, 育児休業をしています, etc., might be other options. As it stands, I don't think the answer is of much practical value. –  Earthliŋ Feb 1 at 19:52

Ok, do i just put です after? Or する? –  heffaklump Feb 1 at 19:58

I am a man also, if that makes a difference? –  heffaklump Feb 1 at 19:58
父親の育児休業 is a valid expression, but if you, a male, are talking to someone, then saying you are "on parental leave" is probably understood to mean "on paternity leave" and not "on maternity leave". –  Earthliŋ Feb 1 at 20:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.