Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can't understand the meaning of this sentence very well: 聞いてもねえ事をペラペラと喋る。。。

I know that 事をペラペラと喋る means to talk glibly about something, 聞いて comes from 聞く to listen, but I don't get the general meaning.

Thank you for your help.

share|improve this question

Do you understand it, when it's written as 聞いてもいない事をペラペラと喋る…? –  Earthliŋ Jan 31 at 20:01

Not really, I just know that 聞いてもいない is the negative form. –  bunny Jan 31 at 20:07

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Part-by-part, it means

聞いてもいないこと things I haven't even asked
をペラペラと喋る talking glibly about

i.e. whoever is uttering this sentence is talking about a chatterbox, who talks about things nobody wants to hear (lit. about things nobody asked). A better translation might be

聞いてもねえ事をペラペラと喋る
He's just talking non-stop about things nobody's interested in (lit. about things I haven't even asked) .

There is a good chance that the speaker refers to someone, who talks a lot about himself/herself, his/her great achievements (i.e. to someone who expresses 自慢).

share|improve this answer

ペラペラと喋る is to talk fluently about something as if one has a very good understanding of the topic.

聞いてもねえ事 means that he hasn't heard or asked about the topic, which implies that he doesn't have a good understanding of the topic.

The sentence is saying the subject appears to have a good understanding despite the speaker thinking that he shouldn't have a good understanding.

share|improve this answer
I don't think that is what it means. See my answer. –  Earthliŋ Jan 31 at 21:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.