Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand the basics of the "suffering passive". For example, it's my understanding that in a sentence like 友達にビールを飲まれた, "tomodachi ni" marks the person who drank your beer.

ぼくにもんくいわれても困る

Who does ぼく refer to and what is the role of ぼくに in this sentence?

bokunimonkuiwaretemokomaru

share|improve this question

Can I add a bonus question?: Is it possible to understand the function of も in this sentence? (emphasis or "also", but we do not have context to know what the ”also-も” is referring to? –  Tim Feb 1 at 2:50

@Tim この「も」はgoo辞書 の2番の、「逆接の意を表す」で、 『文句を言われても、何もできないよ』(I can't do anything even if you complain to me) という感じだと思います。 –  Choko Aug 2 at 2:17

@Choko: Thank you. It is clear now (thanks to your translation: ironically my problem was not the も, it was understanding 困る!), although I still don't understand what is happening in this cartoon, or even which frame to look at first. –  Tim Aug 2 at 3:11

@Tim Hehe・・・ In the right frame, Nobita says to his grandson Sewashi, who travelled from the future by Doraemon's time machine, "Am I to marry Jaiko(=Jaian's sister)!? Impossible! No way! I don't like that girl!" So in the left frame, Sewashi responds "Don't complain to me. It's not my fault." and Doraemon says "Shall I show you your photo album (which he has brought from the future)?" –  Choko Aug 2 at 3:22

@Choko: Thank you. –  Tim Aug 2 at 3:31

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In [僕]{ぼく}に[文句]{もんく}言われても[困]{こま}る, 僕に doesn't mark the person who does 文句言う, but the indirect object of 言う; 僕に文句(を)言う = (you) complain to me. It's saying "I will 困る if you 文句を言う to me."

share|improve this answer

Good explanation. –  istrasci Jan 31 at 15:52

In passive voice (~られる), how do you tell if the に marks the person doing the action or if に marks the indirect object of the action? Like for example here に marks the person who does the action. –  3 to 5 business days Jul 30 at 21:42

@3to5businessdays Here, the に in 僕に文句言われても困る cannot mark the agent of 文句を言う, because "I can't do anything even if I complain to me" wouldn't make sense. For example, 山田さんに文句言われても困る could be interpreted as either "I will 困る if 山田さん complains" or "I will 困る if (you/someone) complains to 山田さん", and I think it's up to the context. –  Choko Aug 2 at 2:09

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.