Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I know that jiko shoukai is self-introduction. And benkyou is study. So I took a guess and figured that self-study is jiko benkyou. The context of this is if someone asks "how did/do you study Japanese?" And the reply is "I studied by myself." or just "Self-study.". So just to make sure I took a quick look at Google Translate and it gave me these options:

• jishuu
  • dokugaku
  • dokushuu

But didn't give jiko benkyou. So what would be the proper word to use for this response?

share|improve this question
Personally, I would use 独学{dokugaku}. There's also 自学{jigaku}. My feeling is that the ones ending in 学{gaku} have a connotation of "studying over a long time span", whereas the ones ending in 習{shuu} are likely to be "one instance of studying", like "I was studying by myself this afternoon", similar to 予習{yoshuu}, 復習{fukushuu} etc –  dainichi Jan 31 at 3:36

@dainichi Is there a difference between 独学 and 自学? –  dotnetN00b Jan 31 at 15:20
add comment

6 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

To "How did/do you study Japanese?" you'd respond

[独学]{どくがく}です。

(not [自習]{じしゅう}です, [自己勉強]{じこべんきょう}しました or [独習]{どくしゅう}です.)

I think the word [自習]{じしゅう}(する) refers to "(to) seatwork" or "study hall".

share|improve this answer
To clarify, there are times in Japanese schools where teachers aren't present and the kids have a 自習 or 自学 period where they do work by themselves. It's similar to the idea of study hall, as Chocolate mentions! –  ssb Jan 31 at 8:24

Is there a difference between 独学 and 自学? –  dotnetN00b Jan 31 at 15:20
Never heard the word 自学 in school myself; It was always 自習 when the teacher was absent. (And the word for "learn without a teacher" is 独学 nearly 100% of the time among native speakers.) –  非回答者 Feb 2 at 23:29
add comment

The proper word for self-study would be 独学。

add comment

I believe the most proper wording is the one in the other answers [独学]{dokugaku}. This word means (at least to me as a non-native speaker/learner of Japanese) self-study as in to learn something substantial by oneself.

I think another phrase that one can use is [自分]{じぶん}で[勉強]{べんきょう}しました. This phrase also literally means "I studied it by myself." I would take this one to be less formal in use and meaning. But I could be wrong on this point (and I'm sure I'll get downvoted if that's the case).

While [自己]{じこ} does mean self (actually each half of it means self in a different sense in both Japanese and Chinese), it doesn't mean self as in "by oneself" so it cannot produce a compound that would mean study by oneself. Cf. [自己紹介]{じこしょうかい} = to introduce oneself. So [自己勉強]{jikobenkyou} would mean the study of the self. The word [自我]{じが} also means self but refers to something like the ego in psychology -- not the self of self-study. (Here's the Japanese wikiepdia on it)

Consequently, the newly added answer [自己]{じこ}で[勉強]{べんきょう}する is one that sounds extremely unnatural.

add comment

I was surprised to see the following sentence in several of the syllabuses at the university where I will be teaching:

大学の図書館やインターネットなどを使って、専門領域に関連した必要な情報を積極的に収集・活用し、自己学習の発展向上を図る。

The first syllabus I saw it in was written by a non-native speaker like myself so I assumed it was an error, but it also occurs in syllabuses written by native speakers.

I am guessing that 自己学習 was created by translation the English for self-study.

add comment

Another option is the word 独得(どくとく). It means learning by oneself according to the app Imiwa?. Denshi Jisho lists the same meaning and says it's a common word. I've used it in conversation and wasn't corrected but that doesn't mean much.

Are you sure it's not 独特 listed as common? –  ssb Mar 10 at 7:07
Probably referring to this: 2 (独得)その人だけが会得していて、他の人には及ぶことができないこと。また、そのさま。 「自家―の曲乗のままで」〈漱石・自転車日記〉 (dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/158226/m0u) Yeah... not a common usage lol. –  Ash Mar 10 at 9:15

This question came up in conversation over the weekend. All my Japanese friends agreed that 独学 is the best way to refer to studying something by yourself. –  user4863 Mar 17 at 3:06

I have a new way to say learning by oneself: here in Miyazaki, the prefectural board of education calls it : みずからまなぶ 自ら学ぶ. The difference appears to be gakutoku is studying alone verses mizukaramanabu is learning by yourself. The difference is learning. Gakutoku doesn't imply you're learning, just studying. –  user4863 Apr 24 at 2:41
add comment

The most proper word for self-study is 独学

自己で勉強する <=> Study by my-self.

So is 自分で勉強する the same or similar? –  dotnetN00b Jan 31 at 15:17
No one would say 「自己で勉強する」. –  非回答者 Feb 2 at 23:21

Yes you're right. The proper one is 自分で勉強する。 Thanks! –  hqgoldswan Feb 3 at 0:24
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.