Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does だって find it's roots in some different combination of words, or is it it's own, self made, particle? Where does だって come from?

share|improve this question

Which だって are you referring to? –  非回答者 Jan 27 at 23:11

I forget the exact context. It was being used at the end of a sentence, and it (may) have been exclamatory? –  Anthony Jan 28 at 1:35

It's probably the lesser formal form of だそうです, which translates to xxx said, or apparently.. –  Pita Jan 28 at 3:26

It was A: いさかさん、子供四人もいるんだって。 B: チャウチャウ、六人や。 I also don't know why they used も。 –  Anthony Jan 28 at 3:40
I think it's 「だ」(dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/132198/m0u/%E3%81%A0) + 「って」(dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/147762/m0u) –  Choko Jan 28 at 4:42

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

“だって” is a sentence-ending particle, coming from binding particle “だって”: a sound change of “だとて”, which is an auxiliary verb of assertion “だ” followed by an auxiliary verb a binding particle “とて”, and it is used in a casual conversation.

share|improve this answer
Forgive me if I'm wrong but is とて an auxiliary verb/助動詞? Isn't it a (quotative case) particle/助詞? –  Choko Jan 28 at 13:17

@Anthony: I have to admit, I'd never heard of とて but thanks to Chocolate and Shun I can see it exists in my dictionary but I am still not sure understand this particle. Perhaps you should revise your question to ask about the use of とて as in だとてー>だって, where it comes from and how it works? I've never seen it mentioned in a text book or class. –  Tim Jan 29 at 1:00

@Chocolate, thanks for pointing. とて is a binding particle(係助詞), not an auxiliary verb. I corrected my answer! –  Shun Yanaura Jan 29 at 11:00

@Tim, should I explain means and usage examples here? –  Shun Yanaura Jan 29 at 11:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.