Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen them both with the meaning of 'Bus Stop.' Could someone please explain how they're different?

Thank you in advance!

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

When talking about bus stops, I think that 乗り場 is usually a more practical description, which tells you where you should get on. 新宿駅 has probably many バス停 (physical places where a bus stops, with a little sign saying バス停), maybe even two バス停 for the same bus line (e.g. one to get on the bus, one to get off), but 乗り場 implies getting on the bus.

So, signs which direct you to a bus stop for a particular bus line, usually say のりば, because that's where you get on. のりば is thus usually used in busy bus terminals.

Note that バス停 has a longer form: バス停留所 and バスのりば also exists.

Of course the word のりば is not limited to buses.

share|improve this answer

Why are both the above answers being voted down? Both seem to be from users who have taken the time to provide perfectly correct straight forward answers for a straight forward question. (Troll best ignored?) –  Tim Jan 25 at 12:22
add comment

乗り場 is a place (場) for boarding (乗り) vehicles. Can be bus, train etc.

バス停 is simply and only a bus (バス) stop (停).

I think a good word might be "platform", but we only use that for trains I think. –  silvermaple Jan 25 at 20:09

@silvermaple: I think the Japanese ホム only applies to trains but in English, a platform was originally just "a raised level surface on which people or things can stand", often to catch trains or allow others to see a performance / speaker. –  Tim Jan 26 at 1:02

@Tim, oh what I mean by "only use for trains" is that I wouldn't call a bus stop a bus platform. Of course, they're usually ground level, heh. ^.^ I was just throwing it out there :) –  silvermaple Jan 26 at 15:33

@Tim you mean ホーム –  oldergod Jan 28 at 5:09
add comment

I'm not a native speaker of English. So my English sentense would have many wrong term...

"乗り場" is the word that means place to get on vehicles. "バス停" means a "bus stop". We use it for only the bus.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.