Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read many times the expression くそかわ referred to babies, what does it exactly mean in english?

I know that くそ means "damn" while かわ comes from かわいい, right?

So damn cute?

Thank you!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, right. くそ・クソ・糞 is used in place here for what usually would be すごく, e.g.

くそかわ = すごく可愛い
くそうめぇ = すごくうまい (=すごくおいしい)
etc.

(As slang is usually more versatile, there are more expressions with クソ, where すごく isn't a valid substition, e.g. 糞美人. Also, note that くそ isn't traditionally a positive interjection/prefix/..., but traditionally used to embellish derogatory terms.)

I'm not 100% on the precise ordering, but クソ is probably the most recent of a series of similar expressions

めっちゃうまい (from むちゃくちゃ)
まじうまい (from 真面目)
超{ちょう}うまい
鬼{おに}うまい
くそうまい

In any case, as you guessed, it is a stronger expression, just as in English:

くそかわ "damn cute"
すごくかわいい "really cute"

As you say, かわ is just a short form of かわいい, as common with all "i-adjectives", うまい => うま(っ), すごい => すご etc.

share|improve this answer

I guess くそ deserves its own answer on this question. –  Earthliŋ Jan 23 at 16:29

In this case, 鬼 = "devilishly" perhaps? –  istrasci Jan 23 at 19:00
You'd basically be looking for a word, which gets used the same way "damn(ed)" gets used, but isn't "damn(ed)". "f**king", "super", etc. work, but I don't think "devilishly" quite fits the bill. Maybe "as hell" as in "cute as hell"... Anyway, there's no need to translate it with the same metaphor. –  Earthliŋ Jan 23 at 19:14

It means F**king cute.

It is commonly used by gals, but it can be a little rude so I will not recommend you to use it in public.

It is one of the gal language - for more informations on gal language visit http://injapan.gaijinpot.com/featured-photo/2011/09/14/japanese-gal-language-what-is-%E2%80%9Cagepoyo%E2%80%9D/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.