Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I initially thought that 僕は神様 meant "I am God", but when putting it through Google Translate, I've instead received "My God" as the English translation. Is the latter equally or more likely to be the correct translation?

share|improve this question
protip: try adding a 。 to the end and see why you shouldn't trust Google translate –  ssb Jan 22 at 0:27

@ssb: Thanks for the great tip :) –  Nandesuka Jan 22 at 0:31
I recommend avoiding Google Translate while you learn Japanese. –  snailboat Jan 22 at 0:41
Google translate for Japanese grammar cannot handle the simplest constructions correctly. It won't help you learn Japanese or translate anything. –  virmaior Jan 22 at 3:36
add comment

1 Answer 1

Google Translate uses a statistical model based on documents humans have translated to guess what the most likely translation is. All translations are machine generated and there is little to no human review; though you can mark a translation as inaccurate and it (might) have some effect on future translations of that phrase.

As pointed out in the comments, Google Translate can often have inaccurate translations or translations that change dramatically depending on what punctuation or particles are present. In my personal use, I see it perform okay on nouns but struggle with grammar, especially if negation is involved. I've even seen it translate the exact same text differently on different days.

For words, I would recommend just using a dictionary. For sentences or phrases, try looking for example sentences that match or are similar to what you have. Our resource section has some suggestions.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.