Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm reading a children's story called きつつき商売. Here's an excerpt:

『音屋』

それだけでは、なんだか分かりにくいので、きつつきは、そのあとにこう、書きました。

「できたての音、すてきないい音、おきかせします。四分音符一こにつき、どれでも100リル」

I'm assuming リル is some sort of currency, but all of my normal internet searches aren't helping me figure out specifically what it is. What could リル mean in this context?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, it seems to be the currency the woodpecker is selling its sounds for.

It seems other people where wondering the same thing, including native speakers so this is definitely a word made up for the story, and it isn't made very clear in the story either.

See this Q&A where someone asked the same question (and how to read 野ねずみ).

「リル」と言うお金の単位を[聞]いたことはありませんので、きっとこのお話の中でのみ使われる、作者が作った単位でしょうね。

This blogpost also talks about this story, and if you do a quick search for リル on the page you'll find several people in the comments wondering what this currency may actually be, how much it's worth...

share|improve this answer

♩ is [四分音符]{しぶおんぷ}, not 四分音. (そのブログを書いた人は、漢字を間違ってます) –  Choko Jan 20 at 12:42

@Chocolate I guess you're right, I first thought that musically a single quarter note doesn't make much sense, but it's the rate per quarter note and anyway grammatically would be weird so... I removed this unnecessary remark from the answer, thanks :) –  desseim Jan 20 at 17:52

It's just a currency made up for the story. I don't think it has any special meaning.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.