Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am quite confused as to how "見る" has suddenly changed into another word, albeit similar meaning when you do this: "見な."

My question is, how has the "na" appeared and the "ru" disappear?

share|improve this question

Compare "confuse" with "confusion". They are different words but have a similar meaning. The final "e" changed into "ion". How did "ion" appear and "e" disappear? –  Earthliŋ Jan 18 at 15:46

Ah, I see the point you are trying to prove, @Earthling, however, I'm actually looking for a detailed explanation. Although analogy is a great way of explaining what happens, it does not explain how. –  Craft Riot Jan 18 at 15:49

Then you have to explain what you mean when you ask "how"? –  Earthliŋ Jan 18 at 15:56

@Earthling, I'm wondering whether the way of adding "na" is out of the verb bases or is it out of some verb + noun or verb + verb. –  Craft Riot Jan 18 at 15:59

You mean like 'what is this な here from'? –  Sjiveru Jan 18 at 16:02
show 3 more comments

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

見な is a shortened form of 見なさい, which, as you probably know, is form from the ます-stem + なさい.

These shortened forms (見な, 食べな, 帰りな, ...) are only used in spoken language.

share|improve this answer
add comment

This な, expressing an order, can be thought of as coming from a shortened version of なさい:

見なさい! → 見な!

It attaches to the 連用形 of a verb, which is the same form 〜ます attaches to:

見 + ます  = 見ます
見 + な   = 見な

動き + ます = 動きます
動き + な  = 動きな

It is easily confused with another な, which expresses an order not to do something; this other な attaches to the 終止形, which is the plain form of a verb you find in a dictionary:

動く    to move
動くな!  Don't move!

Look at the difference between the two な forms:

見な!   Look!
見るな!  Don't look!

動きな!  Move!
動くな!  Don't move!

If you don't understand why these verbs conjugate differently, you'll need to read in your textbook about the basic two types of verbs. (These are called by various names, including "Type 1 and 2", "vowel and consonant stem" and 一段動詞・五段動詞.)

share|improve this answer

I see, thank you for the answer, however Earthling gave the answer earlier than you have. I am grateful though, considering that you took the time to answer to my question. –  Craft Riot Jan 18 at 16:13
Although I should note that 終止形+な has another possible meaning. –  snailboat Jan 19 at 8:40
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.