Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that people often ask [兄弟]{きょうだい}いますか but does this mean "do you have siblings?" or just "do you have brothers?".

Since the answer would be different in either case:

(Has a sister) "No, but I have a sister" or would it be "Yes, I have a sister" (Has a brother) "Yes I do"

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

When you say 兄弟いますか, it normally means "Do you have siblings?" (You'd say like お兄さんか弟(さん)いますか/いる? to mean "Do you have brothers?") I think 兄弟(は)いますか?/兄弟(は)いる(の)? will normally be responded with

はい、姉/兄/妹/弟が(X人)います。
うん、お姉ちゃん/お兄ちゃん/妹/弟が(X人)いるよ。
はい、姉と弟がいます。

etc...

You'll say "No" when you're the only child:

いいえ、一人っ子です。
ううん、一人っ子。

share|improve this answer

What about 兄弟姉妹 for asking about siblings? –  istrasci Jan 16 at 16:17

..and what about 姉妹 for asking for sisters? –  Earthliŋ Jan 16 at 17:07

I think 兄弟(か)姉妹はいますか is seen in formal situations or in the written style (eg. 相続, 法律関係...). When asking for sisters, I think you'd say like 「[女]{おんな}(の)[兄弟]{きょうだい}はいますか。」「お姉ちゃんか妹いる?」 in conversation. –  Choko Jan 17 at 5:39
As a side note, I've seen きょうだい (in hiragana) used to refer to 兄と妹 in the newspaper. I've also seen [兄妹]{きょうだい} and [姉弟]{きょうだい} (probably in a novel? essay? or newspaper). –  Choko Jan 17 at 5:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.