Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The following is an exercise from Tae Kim's Guide.

I have to pick は or が to fill in the blanks:

ジム)アリス ____ 誰?

ボブ)友達だ。彼女 ____ アリスだ

I think we should use は after アリス in the first sentence, but I'm confused about the second sentence. I think it should be は after 彼女, but the correct answer is apparently が. Could someone please explain?

share|improve this question
Though I know they want to teach は/が but 「アリスは誰?」 sounds pretty unnatural (or Japanese-as-a-foreign-language-esque). Most native speakers would say 「アリスって誰?」. –  非回答者 Jan 14 at 21:51

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I am going to give an answer based on the web site you are using. If you want more detail please ask. (FYI: There is book on the difference b/w は & が but I would suggest looking at a few of the Q&A on this website first and make a note of the comment from Tokyo Nagoya for future reference.)

The website you are looking at explains (quote):

"We ..use the topic particle [は]to explain the current topic of conversation. Sample: 誰? (Topic: アリス) = アリスは誰?"

And later:

"the 「が」 particle is only used when you want to identify something out of many other possibilities”

If we apply these to the task given:

Line 1: "ジム) アリス___誰?" simply requires us to to refer to the example taken from the previous section to illustrate how to the topic particle is used. I assume this is clear but, just in case, Alice is the topic of the conversation because Jim is asking about her.

Line2: ボブ) "友達だ。彼女____アリスだ" is the application of the explanation quoted above:

We can infer from line one that there are several candidates who could be Alice, Jim is asking Bob, which one.

As per the explanation given, が is used to identify Alice from the possibilities given. I would guess from the information available that of the possibilities, at least one of these, but not all, is a friend. Bob's first statement ("友達だ”) is intended to help narrow down the possibilities. It does not say but perhaps they are looking at a photograph of several people.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.