Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

パーティーに何か持って行きましょうか。

My translation – “Do you want to hold/wait on going to the party?”

Is this translation correct basically? I wasn’t sure if ‘to hold’ could be used in the same sense as ‘to wait’ in Japanese as is the case in English as when I look up 持つ in my dictionary it doesn’t give a possible meaning of ‘to wait’.

share|improve this question

Your sentence is much like: Would you like to put this reservation on hold until next Wednesday? It's the concept of waiting or biding time. As opposed to actually/physically holding something. Maybe 待つ is used for that colloquialism/idiom as well. –  dotnetN00b Jan 12 at 20:30

By the way, 侍 (samurai)、待つ (matsu)、持つ (motsu)、時 (toki),寺 (tera) are several characters that have the same 寺 part. –  nhahtdh Jan 12 at 21:26
Have you checked [持]{も}っていく in your dictionary? eow.alc.co.jp/… –  Choko Jan 13 at 6:13

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

No, [持]{も}つ cannot mean 'to wait', your translation is incorrect. Are you confusing it with [待]{ま}つ?

パーティーに何か[持]{も}って行きましょうか。
"Shall we go ahead and bring something along to the party?"

share|improve this answer

I wasn't actually (though I do sometimes mix the two up in my head in terms of reading), I just didn't know how else to translate the sentence. I'd overlooked 何か however which I've just looked up means 'something' so now the sentence makes sense as you translated it. –  Mononoke Jan 13 at 15:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.