Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to understand the role of するって and its meaning. Taking the phrase:

24じかんこうどう ともに するって こういうこと

I can't give a meaning to it. Any help?

share|improve this question
((24じかんこうどう ともに する) って) こういうこと. Does it make sense now that I split things up like this? –  nhahtdh Jan 12 at 18:32

I think now i understand. It becomes "I share these things from 24 hours" i guess, right? –  Antonio Verlotta Jan 12 at 18:47
"on a mission" is pretty bad as a translation of 行動. I take the text to be this: 24時間行動 共に するって こういうこと. When you said "doing an activity together for 24 hours, this is what you mean" –  virmaior Jan 12 at 22:34
I think it's parsed as 「『24[時間]{じかん}、[行動]{こうどう}*を*ともにする』って、こういうこと」, i.e. 「『24時間のあいだ、[一緒]{いっしょ}に[行動]{こうどう}する』とは、こういうこと(+か。/だ。etc.)」 –  Choko Jan 13 at 6:05
(I mean, 24時間行動 is not a noun phrase, but the 24時間 modifies the ともにする adverbially.) –  Choko Jan 13 at 6:24

1 Answer 1

って = というのは

「って」 is an informal topic marker that is frequently used in casual conversations.

「24[時間]{じかん}[行動]{こうどう}(を)[共]{とも}にするって、こういうこと(だ)。」

「Aって、こういうこと(だ)。」 = "This is what A means."

A = Spending 24 hours with someone / Being with someone at all times

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.