Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

These are the two sentences in question:

いいえ、まだしません。

いいえ、まだしていません。

From my understanding they both mean something like "No, I didn't yet" or even simply "No, not yet" but there must be a difference in translation/meaning or application that I'm missing obviously based around the ています which is present continuous correct?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The meaning of these two sentences is likely to be different.

Plain negative:

(1) いいえ、まだしない。
"No, (I) do not do it (habitually) yet." (yet: habitual)
"No, (I) will not do it yet." (yet: habitual)
"No, (I) still do not do it (habitually)." (still: habitual)
"No, (I) still will not do it." (still: future)

Negative ている:

(2) いいえ、まだしていない。
"No, (I) have not done it yet." (yet: stative)
"No, (I) am not doing it yet." (yet: progressive)
"No, (I) am not doing (habitually) it yet." (yet: habitual)
"No, (I) still have not done it." (still: stative)
"No, (I) am still not doing it." (still: progressive)
"No, (I) am still not doing it (habitually)." (still: habitual)

Examples:

「宿題は終わった?」 "Did you finish your homework?"
「いいえ、まだしていません。」 "No, I haven't done it yet." (yet: stative)

まだしません would be wrong here, because that would mean "I am not doing my homework (regularly/habitually) yet.", or "No, I am still not going to do my homework (regularly/habitually)." or "No (I) am still not going to do it." none of which are an answer to the question.

息子はまだ(毎日)歩かない。
"My son does not walk (every day) yet." (yet: habitual)
"My son still does not walk (every day)." (still: habitual)

(昨日から)息子はまだ歩いていない。
"My son has not walked yet (since yesterday)." (yet: stative)
"My son still hasn't walked (since yesterday)." (still: stative)

(立ち上がったばかりなので)息子はまだ歩いていない。
"(My son just stood up a second ago,) so he is not walking yet." (yet: progressive)
"(My son just stood up a second ago,) so he still is not walking." (still: progressive)

息子はまだ(毎日)歩いていない。
"My son is not walking (every day) yet." (yet: habitual)
"My son is still not walking (every day)." (still: habitual)

Here is an example sentence which allows all the different interpretations. I use some extra pieces of text to help disambiguate the ていない sentences semantically. (I couldn't think of a nice example for する that allows all interpretations, so I went with 歩く instead -- I hope this isn't confusing.)

share|improve this answer
Is that what they teach まだしない means in the world Japanese as a foreign language? It is not even close to what it means here in Japan. –  非回答者 Jan 13 at 0:40

@TokyoNagoya Thank you for your comment. I thought about it more, and have tried to improve my answer (though it seems to be getting very long as a result...). I am not sure if I have addressed your specific concern. –  Darius Jahandarie Jan 13 at 1:33
@TokyoNagoya: It would be far more helpful to state what まだしない does mean than only saying it doesn't mean what's written in the answer. –  Questioner Jan 13 at 15:31

I'm interested in clarification too. –  Trevor Alexander Jan 13 at 17:44
Sure, writing an answer is more helpful than leaving a quick comment saying something is wrong. But it also takes a lot more time and effort, and I think it's wrong to demand that time and effort of others. So I appreciate quick comments. Even if they don't explain what the correct answer is, they're a signal to other readers that this isn't it. (Of course, such comments should ideally be written tactfully.) –  snailboat Jan 13 at 18:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.