Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is the sentence in question from one of my text books.

学生がいませんから、パブもシティーセンターも静かになります。

My Translation - "There are no students so the pubs and city centre becomes quiet."

Why is it も and not と separating パブ and シティーセンターand then another も before 静か which I don't understand at all?

share|improve this question
weblio辞書 says "AもBも = both A and B" –  Choko Jan 11 at 16:27

「シティーセンター」って都心ってこと? –  istrasci Jan 11 at 16:35

「中心街」とかかな。(アメリカではdowntown、イギリスではcity centreって言うって聞いたんだけど・・・ホンマかどうかは知らな~い) –  Choko Jan 11 at 16:38

場所の名前だったりして。これとか shiodomecitycenter.com –  dainichi Jan 12 at 6:50

It's a textbook, so my guess would be that シティーセンター indeed refers to the "city centre" (中心街) and the textbook authors chose シティーセンター, because it would be easily understood by beginners. –  Earthliŋ Jan 12 at 13:12

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

As pointed out in the comments, ~も~も (with a positive verb) corresponds usually to the construction "both ... and ..." in English. The Japanese construction is not limited to two nouns, but one has ~も~も~も (which might be "all of ..., ... and ..." in English).

I understand the construction to be "not restrictive" in the sense that ~も~も can mean "both ... and ... and a bunch of other ...". On the other hand ~と~ suggest "exactly ... and ...". So here

学生がいませんから、パブもシティーセンターも静かになります。
Because there are no students, pubs, the city centre and everything else become quiet.

学生がいませんから、パブとシティーセンターが静かになります。
Because there are no students, particularly pubs and the city centre become quiet although everywhere else business is as usual.

share|improve this answer

So could the translation just be "because there are no students both the pubs and city centre becomes quiet" or is the "and everything else" sentiment a necessary part of this ~も~も structure? –  Mononoke Jan 12 at 0:15
I think what he's saying is that the "everything else" is implied. You could also say something like "places like the pubs and city center" –  silvermaple Jan 12 at 4:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.