Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I think I have an idea of the differences but I'm not sure. My goal was to say "put [something] on the floor".

To me, 床{ゆか}の上 sounds the best (not that means anything). For example: 服を床の上に置きます。

The dictionary definition of 床上{ゆかうえ} is 建物の床の上。また、床から上。. It looks it has more of a "above floor level" or "from the ground up" meaning, but I still see the English translation of "on a floor" (i.e. Rikaiちゃん). Is this misleading, or would something like 服を床上に置きます work?

Lastly, where would just plain old 床{ゆか} fit into this? Does it have a connotation of the floor or a bed? Is it ambiguous if I just said 服を床に置きます? (If so, does 床の上 not have that ambiguity?)

Bonus Credit: Have I missed anything that means "on the floor"?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

I don't see much difference between [床]{ゆか}に置きます and 床の上に置きます. (I think I normally say 床に置く or [下]{した}に置く in daily conversation.)
I don't think you say [床上]{ゆかうえ}に置きます. I think I hear/see [床上]{ゆかうえ} in [床上浸水]{ゆかうえしんすい} or 床上まで水に[浸]{つ}かる etc. (often on TV or in the newspaper) 

I think [床]{とこ/しょう} as "bed" is normally used in (a set phrase? like) [床]{とこ}に[就]{つ}く, [床]{とこ}に[入]{はい}る, [病床]{びょうしょう}, or [病]{やまい}の[床]{とこ}...

share|improve this answer
でも、もし畳の部屋だったら?「床に置く」じゃなくて「畳(の上)に置く」って言いそう・・・ –  Chocolate Jan 12 at 16:45

あと、[起床]{きしょう}、死の床、[床]{とこ}の[間]{ま}、[苗床]{なえどこ}、[床屋]{とこや}・・・ –  Chocolate Jan 16 at 6:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.