Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As stated in the title the reading for 文言 can be もんごん or ぶんげん. I know that もんごん is almost always used in speech, but why do two readings exist and why is もんごん so much more common? Also, are their any specific circumstances when ぶんげん is preferred?

share|improve this question

「せろん」と「よろん」みたいなもの?私は「もんごん」しか知りませんでした。「文言一致」は「ぶんげんいっち」だなあ・・・(と思ったら"[言文]{げんぶん}"一致?‌​) –  Choko Jan 10 at 7:13

もんごん is the 呉音 reading, and 文言 is the 漢音 reading. –  Zhen Lin Jan 10 at 8:18
@ちょこれーと: Zhen linのコメントで答えがわかった。文言一致という熟語は明治時代にできたから、漢音読みです。(明治時代にできた熟語はほとんど漢音読みです。)ただ、それ以前に「文言‌​」という言葉があったから、2つの読み方が存在してるわけです。 –  Jesse Good Jan 10 at 10:54

@ZhenLin: Thanks that answer my question. Mind making it an answer? –  Jesse Good Jan 10 at 10:54

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

もんごん is the 呉音 reading, and ぶんげん is the 漢音 reading. Although kanji compounds (熟語) can in principle have both readings (in addition to any number of customary ones), it seems it is more common to have only one.

share|improve this answer

It seems my latest answers keep attracting a -1. –  Zhen Lin Jan 10 at 12:11

The -1 is probably from the same person that downvoted one of my answers today. –  Jesse Good Jan 10 at 13:48
Lately anyone's answers attract a -1. –  Earthliŋ Jan 10 at 14:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.